[Lifted from the PNP website]
The general public is advised on the rules on military/police checkpoints as follows:
- Checkpoint must be well-lighted, properly identified and manned by uniformed personnel.
- Upon approach, slowdown, dim headlights and turn on cabin lights. Never step out of the vehicle.
- Lock all doors. Only visual search is allowed.
- Do not submit to a physical or body search.
- You are not obliged to open glove compartment, trunk or bags.
- Ordinary/Routine questions may be asked. Be courteous but firm with answers.
- Assert your rights, have presence of mind and do not panic.
- Keep your driver’s license and car registration handy and within reach.
- Be ready to use your cellphone at anytime. Speed Dial emergency number .
- Report violations immediately. Your actions may save others.
This public advisory guides motorists on how to deal with authorities in checkpoints and ensure its implementation on proper searches and seizures to avoid violation of human rights. The advisory also serves as a warning to erring law enforcers and eliminate illegal checkpoints.
“As the promotion of right-based policing becomes a focal point in the agenda of the PNP leadership, the conduct of police or law enforcement must be in compliance with human rights standard” stated General Bartolome.